Saturday, September 1, 2007

All Systems Go!

My gear is packed. My travel plans are confirmed. The house is tidied up. I've dealt with all the bills and pressing emails. My RSS reader is more or less clear. The mail and paper are on hold. I'm ready to go. It's been over half a year in the making (I registered for camp in early January) and the day of my departure is finally here. In about an hour my friend Fred will be picking me up to take me to the airport. I'm going to church with the Brad Tubbesing, the RUF guy at University of Alabama - Huntsville, and his family tomorrow. I don't know them, but when I blindly emailed him explaining that I was going to be in town and was looking for a ride to church, he was more than happy to help me out. So, I'll get to meet him and his wife and young...I think it's daughter, might be son...I know it's one of those two, tomorrow morning when they pick me up from the hotel. After worship, they'll drop me off at camp in time for check-in and then it's six whirlwind days of pretending to train like an astroanaut. I'm excited...in an opening night of a theater production way (lots of energy, trouble focusing on anything, overly happy, etc). Been a while since I've felt like this before a trip. And it's kinda fun to be excited about traveling again. I think work travel kinda spoiled the wonder of going off to a different place for me. Between not going many places that aren't the most fun and doing it regularly, the novelty and joy of travel has kinda been lost on me for a while. Maybe this will help bring it back. Maybe not. It doesn't really matter. I'm going to Space Camp!!!

No comments: