Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Bits and Pieces

So, I ordered the part for my washer. Should be here either tomorrow or Friday. Hopefully tomorrow so that I can get it installed during the day on Friday and have my washer all back in one piece by the time people come over Friday night.

I survived my first Tuesday morning workout and subsequent full day of work. It was a bit of an odd experience. It just seemed strange that I still had the whole day ahead of me after I got done working out. I'm used to beginning to wind the day down after I finish at the gym. I did have the standard "I workouted in the morning so I end up with a bit of a cough and a mild headache" that I have noticed I'm prone to getting after early workouts. Not sure what that's all about. The headache could be mild dehydration, I guess. But I drank a lot of water (and some milk) afterwards. Maybe it wasn't enough. I didn't really miss my quiet time before everyone else gets to work. I think part of that was that I still got in a little after 7, so I had some time before everyone was there. Although my cubemate was only a few minutes after me. I think the other part was that I was more awake than I normally am. The gym was odd though. Just a very different feel to it. Quieter and everyone seemed more serious, especially when I first got there (about 5:30am). But I guess that makes sense. The people who are there that early are there to workout, not socialize. I saw a lot of women who came in without bags, so I'm guessing they were going to go home afterwards. Maybe they're Mom's who leave find that that's the best time for them to work out. Hard to say. In the coming weeks I'll have to try to recognize people and maybe start some conversatins. I did miss biking with Ed (my bike partner on Tuesdays and Thursdays). Talking and joking with him makes the 45 minutes go by so much faster. But I had a story from Escape Pod, a science fiction/fantasy short story podcast to listen to and that helped me get through.

I'm thinking that I might start, one day a week or whenever I feel like it, putting up a quote that makes me think about things and then commenting on it. There's a couple of Joss Whedon quotes that I've been thinking about a lot (mostly from Angel, which is a bit odd, since I still haven't watched that series yet) that have been going around in my head for a while. Maybe I'll start with one of those.

Things that I've learned recently:
- A coconut is neither a fruit nor a nut but rather a seed.
- Cracking pecans is kinda like peeling a hardboiled egg. You have to be careful as the inside is more squishy than the outside and is prone to breaking into pieces. But getting the shell off without marring the inside isn't that hard. It's a fun little challenge (two for three today. I'm getting better.)
- Even though I have no real desire to have a cell phone, I find myself coveting an iPhone. Sometimes I think the 10th commandment should be updated to something about not coveting thy friend's electronics.

No comments: