Thursday, January 11, 2007

Yeah. I fixed it!

It appears that this chapter of the ongoing saga or Rue and her washer is drawing to a close. The part I needed was at my doorstep when I arrived today (dutifully guarded by Tyson, my cat made out of tractor parts that stands watch over my front door). After my women's board meeting up at church tonight, I came home, dealt with the trash (Friday is trash day in my neighborhood) and proceeded to install the new lid switch assembly. I had a bit of an issue getting the cabinet seated correctly onto the rest of the washer and had to check on the web to ensure that I was installing the clips that keep the cabinet attached to the body of the machine. But after about 45 minutes and not too much frustration, I managed to get everything back together again. I ensured that I had all the hoses connected up correctly and then decided to run a small load of towels through, just to make sure everything is working correctly. So far, so good. The cycle is past the point where it stopped with the faulty lid switch assembly and I haven't had any traces of flooding. So, at this point, I'm going to declare this a win. Whoo-hoo!!

Earlier this evening, Paula, one of the women on the women's board at church, helped me move some chairs from church over to my place so that we'll have enough seats for everyone tomorrow evening (there's a women's fellowship group thing). As we were wheeling the chairs into my place (and they weren't light), she mentioned that Proverbs 31 does talk about a woman being physically strong. I don't think that chapter talks specifically about appliance repair (especially since they didn't, ya know, have appliances in Biblical times, or at least not what we would call appliance). But it does talk about looking after her household and all of that. At least for me, looking after my household means doing things like appliance repair (plus, it was kinda fun. I'm still convinced that all machines with moving parts should be made out of clear plastic, if only so that I can see how they work.).

What have I learned:
- The internet is an invaluable resource. I wouldn't have been able to complete this repair without it. And high speed internet makes a world of difference.
- Eight chairs on the heavy chair dolly is right about the limit of my strength, at least right now.
- Doc (my littler cat) doesn't understand mechanical things. He was very confused when the washer was back in place and started making washery noises again.
- I really am allergic to dust. I cleaned and packed up my model airplane collection at work, in preparation for moving to the other side of the cube on Monday. And have had itchy eyes and a bit of a scratchy throat since then. Fortunately it's going away.

No comments: