Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Blog Updates, Holiday Thoughts and Things Rattling Around In My Brain.

I added links to some of my friends who blog.  It's actually an interesting group of people.  Missionaries I support, friends from school, friends from church, my roommate from Space Camp, people who fall into more than one of those categories.  Many of them don't update all that regularly, but that's what an RSS reader is for.  I use Google Reader.  It's changed the way I use the internet and I couldn't be happier.  Many thanks to Jason for recommending it.

Tomorrow's Valentines' Day.  I've never been a big fan of the holiday.  Maybe that's because I've only had a V-Day date once (that relationships ended about three months later and eventually ended up with me having a psycho-ex-boyfriend left over from college.  It's an interesting story now...not so much then.) and I prefer not to be beaten over the head with reminders that I'm single.  Maybe it's that Valentines' Day has always felt, at least to me, like an excuse for Hallmark to sell more card, people to make insincere statements about their feelings about others (even if it's just through a silly little card with cartoon characters, mutant robots from outer space or cute kittens) and for those unattached to a significant other to have an excuse to consume chocolate and/or ice cream.  I'm not planning on doing anything special to celebrate.  Although I am taking brownies to work.  But that's more because I've been sensing a significant deficiency of baked goods with extra chocolatey goodness than because it happens to be a holiday.  At least this isn't a Post Office holiday, so maybe I'll get my new MP3 player that I ordered from Woot earlier this week. 

In the "other random thoughts that are swimming around my head this evening" category:
- The WGA (writers') strike is officially over.  Whoo-hoo!  While some of the shows that I enjoy won't be back before next fall (Heroes), some may not be back at all (Journeyman :( ), others will be back and with more new episodes (Lost, Bones).  And, once the writers' new contract is ratified, I can go back to watching television on the web again...something that I'm greatly looking forward to.
- I'm kinda excited that by the start of next week I'll be able to work on something other than documentation at work.  I've known for a while that the first few months of this year were going to be taken up mostly with documentation tasks.  And it really is about as little fun as it sounds.  I'll still be doing some work on the documentation files, but I've got the go ahead to scale that back to about half-time.  And that will make my work life much more interesting.  Might make kick boxing on Thursday nights a little less intense, but maybe the new stuff that I'm doing will be challenging/frustrating enough to make up for it.  
- Speaking of the gym, we're getting a nice big window later this week!  All of the trainers are very excited.  It will be nice to have some more natural light in the cardio room.  Now if only I could get a sky light somewhere near my cube.
- And, for those of you not in Texas (or who don't pay attention to weather forecasts), we'll be, once again, getting confirmation that we live way too far inland.  Tomorrow's high is supposed to be around 70.  Friday, it sounds like we'll be lucky to see 40.  Before the weekend is up, we might even get some "snow"*
- Can anyone recommend some good, upbeat music that I might enjoy?  Ed, my biking buddy on Tuesdays and Thursdays, is out for the next month or so due to surgery to give him a bionic foot**.  So, I'm going to be lacking for conversation and harassment during my longer cardio sessions.
- I should really blog some more about stuff related to my trip to India this summer, but it's past my bedtime, so that will have to wait for another time.

*Which means either a couple of white flakes swirling in the air or some ice.  It also means a run on milk and bread at the grocery store, that there won't be anything good to rent at Blockbuster and Walmart will be even crazier than usual.
**Not exactly, but it's more fun to think of it that way than to talk about how he's getting pins and other stuff to help out some of his toe joints.  I've also told him that we're going to have to watch him closely when he returns to make sure that they didn't give him an "evil bionic foot".  Although it would give him an excuse to go around kicking people, that type of thing never ends well.

No comments: