Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday, Random Sunday

Random thoughts from a Sunday afternoon.

Newest favorite snack food:
Cayenne Pretzels
20 oz pretzels (I used a 15 oz bag of the waffle shaped ones from Kroger)
1 package dry ranch dressing mix
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I think I used a little extra, it spilled while I was measuring it)
1 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
Pour pretzels into shallow baking pan or jelly pan (I used a 9x13 pan).
Mix everything else together and pour over pretzels.
Mix pretzels until well coated.
Bake for one hour, stirring every 15(ish) minutes.
Turn out onto paper towels to cool.

I found this recipe on the web back before Christmas but didn't get around to trying it until this weekend.  These things are amazing.  It's like extra spicy chex mix only better.  I need to make up a batch of these and send it to my brother-in-law.

Random thoughts from some friends' wedding I went to last night during which I got to see some friends I haven't seen in a while, some in years.
When did her hair get so big?
Wow he looks a lot older...do I look that old?
He looks just like the last time I saw him.  Maybe I DON'T look any older either.
When did we all grow up?  And why does it seem like everyone has so many kids?
I guess it's okay that I forgot her name, she didn't remember mine either.
I've become pretty good at dealing with awkward situations head-on and by making a joke about the awkwardness of the situation.
Whoo-Hoo!  I got an aisle seat.
"The wheel never stops turning.  You're up.  You're down.  It doesn't change who you are."
Some things change...some things really do stay the same.
There's little more moving than a grown man crying while talking to and about his own mom at his wedding.

In other news, the cats have accepted the futon.  I think they might like it better than the couch it replaced.  At least they can get under the futon.  I haven't found a cover for it yet.  I refuse to pay more for a cover than I paid for the whole futon.  Internet searching will be done in the near future.

We had our first mission trip meeting after church today.  For those I haven't told, I'm a confirmed member of the India 2008 team.  I'll be in India the last week in June and the first week in July.  I'll miss the 4th of July here (probably my favorite holiday), but I'll be back by my birthday.  I'm really excited about the trip and you're sure to hear more about it both from me in person and on this blog (and look for my support letters, coming to your mail or inbox soon).  Support raising starts soon.  If anyone has any odd jobs they would like me to do in exchange for a charitable donation to the church that will go towards paying for my trip, please let me know.  I'll do just about anything and, if needed, can provide many of my own tools (and I've got a truck.  I can haul and move stuff.).

I'm also a little bummed that I not going to be able to go in the other mission trip that my church is taking.  That team is headed back to Reynosa (where we went last summer).  That was a really great trip, the food was amazing, the work was rewarding, the people down there are great.  It looks like it's going to be a great team going there as well.  I wish I could do both.  But, I had to choose between Reynosa and RYM Colorado with the high school kids.  And, since RYM has, consistently been the best week of my year the past two years (yes, even better than Space Camp, but only just...scuba diving almost pushed Space Camp over the edge), it wasn't really a hard decision.  I'm looking forward to RYM too.  With the group of kids who are talking about signing up, it looks like we're going to have a large and very cool group going there as well.

I watched Superman Returns over the weekend thanks to a loan of the DVD from my former cubemate Jeremy.  I wasn't that impressed.  Part of that could have been due to the mood I was in Friday night when I watched it (on the melancholy side of mellow) but I wasn't impressed.  But it did do some things right.  It provided enough information for the Superman newbie to get caught up quickly (and without a lot of "this is the backstory so that everyone can get caught up" exposition).  They also make it very much about the super hero (Superman in this case) rather than about the villian(s).  Kevin Spacey did an excellent job as Lex Luthor.  I especially enjoyed his hyperactive rantings as he exposited on his plans for anyone (and the audience) to listen to.  That said, the science was horrible, even for a comic book movie.  I'm sorry but the minute you put winglets on a space shuttle, you've completely lost me in terms of the science.  The whole sequence with the airplane and the shuttle were just silly and so far from believable it would have been laughable if I was in a laughing mood.  *Spoiler Alart* I figured that the kid was Superman's about three seconds after his existence was introduced (spend a lot of time with the hero brooding about being the last one of his kind...introduce a former love who has a kid about the right age and, yeah, not a big suprise there). */Spoiler Alert*  By the time Superman got around to saving the earth, I just didn't really care anymore.  I'm glad that I saw it, but I'm also glad that I didn't see pay to see it in the theater.  Now I just gotta find someone who's going to by Cloverfield so I can borrow that one.  I wouldn't mind going to see it in theaters, but since I sometimes have motion sickness issues, I'm not willing to spend money if I'm going to get sick.

No comments: