Saturday, June 9, 2007

Rocky Mountain High

I got home from RYM (Reformed Youth Movement) conference on Colorado just over an hour ago. It's always weird coming home from these trips. I've just spent the entire week surrounded by people...friends...family. Now it's just me and my cats. They're cute and fuzzy, but not exactly the same type of company. Sometimes it's a lonely feeling, coming home to my house. Tonight, it's not so much. Part of that's probably because I just spent the last hour getting mostly unpacked (I really dislike going to bed without unpacking from a trip. The big secret is to unpack onto your bed. That way you can't go to sleep without putting things away.). Part of it is also probably because I'm pretty tired (15 hours in a van will do that). Tomorrow is church and youth stuff and I've got a pretty busy week. So, maybe I won't feel the loneliness. We'll see.

But, on to more about RYM. As was the case last year, it was a great trip. Even if it would have been a lousy conference, it still would be a great trip. The scenery alone is worth the trip. It is so amazing to see the beauty of God's creation in the mountains. Driving through Texas this afternoon and evening I noticed that I had already started to miss the mountains. Sorry Mary, even the most beautiful parts of Texas can not compare to the majesty of the Rocky Mountains.

The conference itself was great. I was challenged by the material presented, had some great conversations with the kids, met some neat people, conquered a ropes course (hopefully a good warm-up for Area 51 at Space Camp), played some putt-putt, didn't sleep near enough, learned much about God's providence through a mechanical incident with our van and the resulting events, hiked in the national park, adapted amazingly well to the altitude and overall had a great week.

I hope to write more about significant parts of the week in the coming days...and maybe even figure out how to embed pictures.

No comments: