Saturday, June 30, 2007

So, where does one get a couple hundred cubits of gopher wood?

It's raining again. Which, it being this summer and north Texas, shouldn't really come as a big surprise.

I did manage to get my lawn mowed this afternoon. I was finishing up (literally running while pushing the lawnmower) as today's afternoon storm was getting started. I don't want to complain about the rain. It's helped keep the temperatures down and has meant that I haven't had to water my yard much this year. Both of those things are saving me money. But it is starting to get a bit silly. In previous summers Iearned not to leave home without a bottle of water (due to the heat). This summer, I don't leave home without one of my rain coats (yes, I have multiple and they've come in handy recently. One now lives in my car).

This weather reminds me of the summer of 1994 in Atlanta. It rained pretty much non-stop for 16 days, took a day off and then rained for another 11. To start with, I wore two pairs of socks, trying to keep my feet dry as I walked around campus. After a few days, I gave up, switched to sandals and kept a towel in my pack so I could dry off a bit when I got to my destination (I don't like to have wet feet, especially when in an air conditioned room. Makes me get very cold.). That was the summer I bought my big, Georgia Tech golf umbrella, realizing that with anything smaller either I got wet or my pack did.

But I'd rather be soggy regularly than bone dry and melting in the hundred-and-a-lot degree weather.

No comments: